Home Forums Television Emmy Awards 2018 Drama Predictions (Part 3)

Emmy Awards 2018 Drama Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 526 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
Luca Giliberti
Mukund
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Continue the drama category predictions discussion in this thread.

Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

My current ranking of this year nominees

Drama Series
    1-Game of Thrones
    2-The Americans, I’m starting to feel the hype
    3-The Handmaid’s Tale
    4-Westworld
    5-The Crown
    6-Stranger Things
    7-This is Us

Drama Directing
    1-The Dragon & The Wolf, Jeremy Podeswa (Game of Throne)
    2-Paterfamilia, Stephen Daldry (The Crown)
    3-After, Kari Scogland (The Handmaid’s Tale)
    4-Chapter Nine: The Gate, The Duffer’s Brothers (Stranger Things)
    5-Beyond The Wall, Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones)
    6-The Toll, Jason Bateman (Ozark)
    7-Tonight We Improvise, Daniel Sackheim (Ozark)

Drama Writing
    1-The Dragon & The Wolf, Daniel Beniof & D.B. Weiss (Game of Thrones)
    2-START, Joel Fields & Joe Weisberg (The Americans)
    3-June, Bruce Miller (The Handmaid’s Tale)
    4-Mystery Man, Peter Morgan (The Crown)
    5-Chapter Nine: The Gate, The Duffer’s Brothers (Stranger Things)
    6-Nice Faces, Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Killing Eve)

Drama Lead Actor
    1-Mathew Rhys, The Americans
    2-Jeffrey Wright, Westworld
    3-Sterling K Brown, This Is Us
    4-Milo Ventimiglia, This Is Us
    5-Ed Harris, Westworld
    6-Jason Bateman, Ozark

Drama Lead Actress
    1-Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid’s Tale
    2-Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black
    3-Claire Foy, The Crown
    4-Kerry Russell, The Americans
    5-Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
    6-Evan Rachel Wood, Westworld

Drama Supporting Actor
    1-Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
    2-Matt Smith, The Crown
    3-David Harbour, Stranger Things
    4-Nicolai Coster-Waldau, Game of Thrones
    5-Joseph Fiennes, The Handmaid’s Take
    6-Mandy Patinkin, Homeland

Drama Supporting Actress
    1-Thandie Newton, Westworld
    2-Vanessa Kirby, The Crown
    3-Lena Heady, Game of Thrones
    4-Ann Dowd, The Handmaid’s Tale
    5-Alexis Bledel, The Handmaid’s Tale
    6-Yvonne Strahovsky, The Handmaid’s Tale
    7-Millie Bobbie Brown, Stranger Things

Drama Guest Actor
    1-Matthew Good, The Crown
    2-Cameron Britton, Mindhunter
    3-Gerald McRaney, This Is Us
    4-Jimmy Simpson, Westworld
    5-Ron Cephas Jones, This Is Us
    6-F. Murray Abraham, Homeland

Drama Guest Actress
    1-Dianna Rigg, Game of Thrones
    2-Samira Wyle, The Handmaid’s Tale
    3-Viola Davis, Scandal
    4-Cicely Tyson, How To Get Away With Murder
    5-Kelly Jenrette, The Handmaid’s Tale
    6-Cherry Jones, The Handmaid’s Tale

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I want to start a discussion on a topic that should’ve been more popular post-nominations. The Crown doubled its acting nominations compared to last year, suggesting support for the show, so why are we not talking about a potential Foy upset? Forget Drama Series, it’s not happening, but Moss isn’t as popular as last year.

I don’t remember if the acting branch is voting only for the winners in the acting categories or for the nominations too, but if it’s the second case, then that proves the branch’s support.

I had Foy initially at second, after Oh. But now that the buzz for Oh has waned, I have placed Foy at first. I think people underestimate her. The voters are paying attention to The Crown, otherwise they would have nominated the bigger name Michael C. Hall, playing a more popular character, over Matthew Goode. She has won SAG for both of the seasons, which strengthens her position. People blame Hulu for Moss’ loss this year but I think even with that Moss should have won, considering how she was sweeping everywhere with one of the most critically acclaimed performance on one of the most critically acclaimed shows of last year. I don’t see Russell winning. Maslany can win again as I believe she has support within this branch. Her real hurdle was to get nominated. She has passed that, so she could be a possible threat.

P.S. The acting branch votes both times

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I want to start a discussion on a topic that should’ve been more popular post-nominations. The Crown doubled its acting nominations compared to last year, suggesting support for the show, so why are we not talking about a potential Foy upset? Forget Drama Series, it’s not happening, but Moss isn’t as popular as last year.

I don’t remember if the acting branch is voting only for the winners in the acting categories or for the nominations too, but if it’s the second case, then that proves the branch’s support.

I had Foy initially at second, after Oh. But now that the buzz for Oh has waned, I have placed Foy at first. I think people underestimate her. The voters are paying attention to The Crown, otherwise they would have nominated the bigger name Michael C. Hall, playing a more popular character, over Matthew Goode. She has won SAG for both of the seasons, which strengthens her position. People blame Hulu for Moss’ loss this year but I think even with that Moss should have won, considering how she was sweeping everywhere with one of the most critically acclaimed performance on one of the most critically acclaimed shows of last year. I don’t see Russell winning. Maslany can win again as I believe she has support within this branch. Her real hurdle was to get nominated. She has passed that, so she could be a possible threat.

P.S. The acting branch votes both times

Hulu didn’t send screeners, that’s all it was to be honest. Well, that and SAG loving repeats, British period drama shows like Downton Abbey, and having a pro-Netflix bias. I think either Russell or Maslany will win. Foy’s buzz is not nearly what Russell’s is as far as a “goodbye hug” is concerned, but even though Maslany won already just playing so many different characters could seal up another win for her. If Moss repeats I will feel like the biggest idiot in the world, but like Foy, I am just not sensing nearly enough buzz for her performance to predict her to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

I already posted my Drama Series ranking, so here are my other rankings:

Actress:

• Elisabeth Moss
    • Claire Foy
    • Tatiana Maslany
    • Keri Russell
    • Sandra Oh
    • Evan Rachel Wood

Actor:

• Sterling K. Brown
    • Matthew Rhys
    • Jeffrey Wright (Watch out for this one!)
    • Milo Ventimiglia
    • Ed Harris
    • Jason Bateman

Supp. Actress:

• Yvonne Strahovski
    • Lena Headey
    • Ann Dowd
    • Vanessa Kirby
    • Thandie Newton
    • Alexis Bledel
    • MBB

Supp. Actor:

• David Harbour
    • Peter Dinklage
    • Mandy Patinkin
    • Joseph Fiennes
    • Matt Smith
    • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

Luca G.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

Guest Actress: I wrote 4 articles about this category, I will feel like an idiot if I am wrong haha.

1. Diana Rigg
    2. Samira Wiley
    3. Cicely Tyson
    4. Cherry Jones
    5. Viola Davis
    6. Kelly Jenrette

Luca G.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I want to start a discussion on a topic that should’ve been more popular post-nominations. The Crown doubled its acting nominations compared to last year, suggesting support for the show, so why are we not talking about a potential Foy upset? Forget Drama Series, it’s not happening, but Moss isn’t as popular as last year. I don’t remember if the acting branch is voting only for the winners in the acting categories or for the nominations too, but if it’s the second case, then that proves the branch’s support.

I had Foy initially at second, after Oh. But now that the buzz for Oh has waned, I have placed Foy at first. I think people underestimate her. The voters are paying attention to The Crown, otherwise they would have nominated the bigger name Michael C. Hall, playing a more popular character, over Matthew Goode. She has won SAG for both of the seasons, which strengthens her position. People blame Hulu for Moss’ loss this year but I think even with that Moss should have won, considering how she was sweeping everywhere with one of the most critically acclaimed performance on one of the most critically acclaimed shows of last year. I don’t see Russell winning. Maslany can win again as I believe she has support within this branch. Her real hurdle was to get nominated. She has passed that, so she could be a possible threat. P.S. The acting branch votes both times

Hulu didn’t send screeners, that’s all it was to be honest. Well, that and SAG loving repeats, British period drama shows like Downton Abbey, and having a pro-Netflix bias. I think either Russell or Maslany will win. Foy’s buzz is not nearly what Russell’s is as far as a “goodbye hug” is concerned, but even though Maslany won already just playing so many different characters could seal up another win for her. If Moss repeats I will feel like the biggest idiot in the world, but like Foy, I am just not sensing nearly enough buzz for her performance to predict her to win.

SAG is notorious for repeats but more on the comedy side. They loved Downton Abbey but you can’t just generalize that they’ll fall for every other British Period Drama. They like Netflix and do reward them with nominations but Foy was the sole Netflix winner this year. I don’t think that they just check someone off  for the win because they are on Netflix. Netflix’s accessibility helps it to procure nominations, not wins necessarily.  ST was also eligible to repeat but it didn’t. That’s why I think Foy has passion. The show became the first show in 15 years to receive an ensemble nomination with only 5 cast members. Without a Trace in 2003 and The X-Files in 1996 are the only shows to achieve that. The show doubling it’s nominations further proves it’s popularity with the actors.

As for Russell, I think her support or buzz, whatever you wanna call it, from the critics is being misinterpreted as buzz within the industry. I will definitely predict her for the critic’s choice, but the Emmys are different.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like anything can happen with all the drama categories, but it is obvious that they do like The Crown a lot more, same with Westworld and THT. And they like Stranger Things and GoT the same. I do think that a lot of people also adore The Americans, but it not that watch among all the branches. This is us is not winning anything in my opinion, the actors are the only fans of the show, but they love many others shows more. Also, since I have watched all the nominees, I really thing that This is us is the least good of them. Besides that, I am not sure about anything. And now This is us may win two acting awards and I may look really stupid, but will see.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Ivo Stoyanov.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

One more thing working against Keri Russell is the lack of recognition from SAG. Every Emmy winner for Lead Actress in a Drama Series has atleast one individual nomination. Her breaking in for the SIXTH season is highly improbable, IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

This freaking website shit just deleted my damn comment reply! This is a glitch that needs to be fixed! Others have been having their comments erased and I am SICK. OF. IT!

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

This freaking website shit just deleted my damn comment reply! This is a glitch that needs to be fixed! Others have been having their comments erased and I am SICK. OF. IT!

I wanted to reply to your comment and then all of a sudden it was gone! Are you sure they erased it? Maybe you pressed delete my mistake, that happened to me recently. But the other day as well one of your comments just disappeared.

Luca G.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I wanted to reply to your comment and then all of a sudden it was gone! Are you sure they erased it? Maybe you pressed delete my mistake, that happened to me recently. But the other day as well one of your comments just disappeared.

I guarantee you I did NOT delete it! This also happened a couple days ago, but my comment then wasn’t big enough so I ignored it then. SAG is more unreliable a precursor then ever this year, just ask Marc Maron, Alison Brie, and Laura Linney. William H. Macy has multiple SAG wins but will likely not win an Emmy for Shameless. Also, Keri Russell is more of a veteran than Claire Foy. Felicity was mostly ignored by the Emmys when it was on the air but now has a small cult following, so she could be considered overdue for 2 different shows even if she can only be rewarded for one. SAG voters include waiters and TV broadcasters. Emmy voters are vastly most restricted. Foy is certainly respected but the buzz for her has died down enough I don’t think she can win, especially with The Crown having aired longer ago than THT and The Americans. The Crown really did have a few great episodes (even though I know you personally are a stan for it) but it definitely isn’t being considered a masterpiece like The Americans Season 6 generally has been. Those are all the key points I made that I can remember. Plus, Foy only plays Queen Elizabeth while Russell has those alter egos when she is spying and Maslany has like 12 different characters, so I don’t think range will be on her side either. Hopefully the Goldderby glitch monster doesn’t erase THIS comment too!

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

SAG is more unreliable a precursor then ever this year, just ask Marc Maron, Alison Brie, and Laura Linney. William H. Macy has multiple SAG wins but will likely not win an Emmy for Shameless

All the snubbed people are from Netflix which as I mentioned, helps people receive nominations but not wins, as witnessed this year. Oh and Wood (or Newton, as she was the Westworld nominee) weren’t eligible at SAG, so a nomination for Linney was never a sure thing. No other group recognised her so she was just a SAG thing. SAG has nominated people that fail to receive Emmy noms and Oscar noms in the past, like Ryder and Malek just last year, why should this year be any different. Moreover, when Macy won the second and third time, the eventual Emmy winner hailed from a freshman show and hence was understandably snubbed, like probably the biggest lock of the night, Brosnahan was this year. So, his wins don’t discredit SAG as much people think they do.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

SAG is more unreliable a precursor then ever this year, just ask Marc Maron, Alison Brie, and Laura Linney. William H. Macy has multiple SAG wins but will likely not win an Emmy for Shameless

All the snubbed people are from Netflix which as I mentioned, helps people receive nominations but not wins, as witnessed this year. Oh and Wood (or Newton, as she was the Westworld nominee) weren’t eligible at SAG, so a nomination for Linney was never a sure thing. No other group recognised her so she was just a SAG thing. SAG has nominated people that fail to receive Emmy noms and Oscar noms in the past, like Ryder and Malek just last year, why should this year be any different. Moreover, when Macy won the second and third time, the eventual Emmy winner hailed from a freshman show and hence was understandably snubbed, like probably the biggest lock of the night, Brosnahan was this year. So, his wins don’t discredit SAG as much people think they do.

I’m just saying SAG voters are not Emmy voters, there are way more of them and many aren’t even in the industry as professional actors. Plus, they gave Downton Abbey Ensemble 3 times. Brit period drama bias plus Netflix bias helped seal the deal for a Foy repeat. Foy’s buzz has just died down. I hate to bring up freaking TCA, but for whatever it is worth Foy was snubbed while Russell won Individual Achievement in Drama. Also, Emmys don’t have the same Netflix love that SAG does. Also, all those disguises and alter egos Russell’s Elizabeth Jennings had to adopt help explain why there is so much more buzz for her than Foy at the moment and during voting, simply because she has to do more in regards to range. Foy is appropriately elegant and in certain episodes like 6 and 8 outright powerful as the Queen, but her range compared to what Russell and especially Maslany have to do isn’t really, well comparable. I liked Foy, I’m just pointing out that buzz for The Americans in general everywhere you looked really seemed to hit a zenith during final Emmy voting. It really was like Moonlight with the Oscars, even though that movie got way more nominations, it was this passionate love you could hear from space, not just from critics.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like I’m repeating myself at this point. Basically, don’t let pro-Crown stan bias your judgement, if anyone is winning from that show in any major Emmy category it will most likely be Kirby due to THT ladies splitting votes due to lack of a clear frontrunner bewtween Strahovski, Dowd, and to a lesser extent Bledel. The Crown isn’t winning Drama Series, I realized earlier today I actually had it in 5th place below This Is Us, and while I now have it in 4th, I still think that mostly no one is talking about that show outside Goldderby forums. Don’t forget it got snubbed for Picture Editing and unlike THT Season 1 which also got snubbed when it premiered too close to Emmy voting in the spring, The Crown Season 2 premiered long enough ago for everyone to have a chance to see it. The Crown did well, but people acting like the show can win Drama Series more than the widely buzzed about during final Emmy voting and universally acclaimed The Americans can as a “dark horse” is pure stan hysteria to me. The Americans may have the least nominations, but the buzz for that final season is palpable, you can freaking feel it everywhere you look. Foy isn’t winning for The Crown Season buzz and (I hate to say it) lack of passion compared to that of her competitors, but she has a great career ahead of her and could easily win an Oscar someday if she keeps choosing quality roles in acclaimed films.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 526 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.